Monday, April 21, 2008

Enter redhillonrails_core

A great plugin to support FK/indexes etc in Rails migrations. Stock migrations do not really appeal in the referential constraints area. I installed this plugin to find out that there is no adapter for Oracle. It supports Postgres and mySQL but uses a generic adapter for Oracle. And the generic adapter is no good. It just fills the gap so that the plugin does not error when using with Oracle but essentially rake db:schema:dump does not do any FK dumping.
I pointed out at rubyforge but got to know that what I found out was true and there were no plans to support Oracle in the near future.
So, I decided to extend the Adapter myself. Not a very tough task. Just had to query Oracle and find out the FK definitions. Will write the query or perhaps make it into a plugin sometime when I am done with testing.

1 comment:

Shishir said...

gud one..ye blogging ki dukaan kab kholi tumne?? [:P]